The Sydney University Musical Society is the undergraduate choir of the University of Sydney.
Founded in 1878, it is the one of the oldest secular choirs in Australia. It has acquired an enviable reputation in the Sydney music scene, and has been regularly invited to perform with Sydney’s principal professional choirs. SUMS has had some noteworthy achievements over the years, including giving the Australian premieres of Handel’s Dixit Dominus and Bach’s Mass in B minor; and singing during the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron at the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony.
The Society has performed with orchestras such as the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, the Sydney Youth Orchestra and the SBS Youth Orchestra.
Most importantly, SUMS combines its musical achievements with a great social atmosphere, with lots of organised and informal social events, and you do not need to audition (or even have any musical experience) to join in and sing with us.
In fact, while SUMS is the “official” undergraduate choir of the university we have a broad range of membership, from undergrads, post-grads, recent grads, and the odd “elder statesman” who are great for stories at the pub!
What sort of concerts does SUMS do?
SUMS sings many varied and diverse pieces, performing its major concerts (usually three series per year) in the Great Hall of the University and other prestigious venues. SUMS also sings wherever and whatever anyone wants us to – in shopping centres, ferries, to drunken students in Manning Bar.
Singing with SUMS is guaranteed to be like no other experience you have had or will have. So why not try us out?
SUMS, without a doubt, puts as much effort and energy into is other pursuits as it does its concerts:
- We record most concerts, and produce CDs for the choir, which you can use to impress and dazzle your friends
- Visits to our local pub after rehearsal each week
- Three fabulous Camp weekends a year getting to know each other, with hilarious and embarrassing Camp Revues
- Post-Concert-Parties to work off your concert-induced-adrenaline, by dancing and drinking at a venue decided closer to concert time
- A formal Annual Dinner and “Morals” Awards night to round off the year in style (and for some in notoriety)
- Fundraising and a chance to sing in small groups
- Movies, concerts, opera in the park, video nights, etc – in fact, a wealth of activities where you can make yourself notorious in your new social circle
- Travel, if keen, to choral festivals around Australia
When and where does SUMS rehearse?
- SUMS rehearsals are held on or around the Sydney University campus on Wednesday evenings.
- Rehearsals for our first concert usually begin in the first week of Semester 1 with a Free “Fresher BBQ” for new, potential and returning members.
- Rehearsals then continue every Wednesday night from around 6:00 pm, with a rehearsal camp being held on a weekend closer to the concert date. These weekends are adventures in music, food, dancing, humour and alcohol (if you are so inclined), as well as the start of the intensive rehearsal period leading up to our major concerts.
For further details on all SUMS events and rehearsals, please check the Calendar.